The name Yealand, mentioned in the Doomsday book as Jalant, derives from the
Anglo-Saxon word meaning ‘high ground’. The name Conyers comes from past
Lords of the Manor. Among the earlier overlords was Henry de Redmayne (hence
Yealand Redmayne). By the early 13th century, control had passed to Adam de
Yealand, Sheriff of the County, whose daughter Alice subsequently married
Robert de Conyers (hence Yealand Conyers).
During the mid 17th
century the villages of Conyers and Redmayne became associated with the
persecuted Quaker movement. George Fox, Quaker leader, preached in Yealand
Conyers in 1652. He was particularly supported by Richard Hubberstone, a
local man, who proved invaluable in organising secret Quaker meetings in the
area. Richard Hubberstone continued to uphold the faith until 1662 when he
died in Newgate prison.
For many visitors to
Yealand the object of their journey is to tour the “1652 Country” where in
that year the Society of Friends was established as a result of George Fox’s
visits. The Meeting House was built in 1692 and is still in regular use, as
is the burial ground.
The Anglican church of St. John’s was elevated to the status of a parish in
its own right on 25th September 1870. Originally a chapelry of
the Parish church of St Oswald, records for this church were recorded in the
Parish registers of the mother church and may be viewed as part of those
registers up to the year 1857. From 1858 onwards, the church of St. John
maintained its own registers.
The village pub, The New Inn, dates from about
Yealand is in a
designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. It is a limestone area, well
wooded and rich in wildlife. The RSPB bird reserve of Leighton Moss, well
known for its Bitterns, is within easy walking distance.
Local walks afford
impressive views of Morecambe Bay, the Lakeland Fells and The Pennines.
Within a few miles are castles, Pele Towers and Stately Homes.
Within the Parish is
Leighton Hall, with its origins dating back to 1246. This has been a
Catholic stronghold and during the period of Catholic persecution, a priest
was frequently hidden within the walls. The Catholic Church of St. Mary was
consecrated in 1852, although there had been a previous building since 1782.